Ontario is in San Bernardino County and the Southern California region of California, more than 35 miles east of Los Angeles. From a traveler’s perspective, Ontario is noteworthy mainly as the home of a large mall and the Ontario International Airport, a less crowded alternative to Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) and the main airport serving the Inland Empire.
- 1 LA/Ontario International Airport (ONT IATA). The regional airport for commercial flights serving the Inland Empire and the eastern part of the greater Los Angeles area. It is less busy and quieter than LAX. The airport is 2 mi (3.2 km) east of Ontario’s Business District off of I-10 at the Archibald Ave/Ontario Airport (Exit #55/55A) and the Haven Ave (Exit #56) exits.
There are two terminals for commercial flights, numbered 2 & 4:
- Terminal 1: The USO is in the (old) Terminal 1 building for military personnel transiting into or out of the area and the International arrivals terminal is in a separate building for international flights from Mexico and Taiwan. There is a free shuttle bus from the old terminal 1 and international arrivals to Terminal 2 & 4.
- Terminal 2: Alaska Airlines/Horizon Air (Gates 205 & 206), Delta/Delta Connection (Gate 208), Frontier (Gate 210), United/United Express (Gates 201-203), Volaris (Departures); China Airlines (Gate 212)
- Terminal 4: American Airlines (Gates 408 & 410) and Southwest (Gates 401-407)
- 1 Car Rental Terminal … at 3450 E Airport Dr in the NE Corner of the airport grounds at E Airport Dr & N Haven. From Terminals 2 & 4 there is a frequent and free shuttle bus going over to the consolidated car rental terminal to pick up a rental car. If renting from Fox they will send their shuttle to pick up customers at the consolidated car rental terminal instead of the airline terminals. For a better rate on car rentals it is best to shop around and reserve a car online or over the phone prior to arrival. A private car is a convenient way to get around locally and for going out to remote locales such as Joshua Tree.
By public transit, OmniTrans Rt#80 goes north from the airport towards Chaffey College in Rancho Cucamonga along Vineyard, Carnelian St and E 19th via the Ontario Convention Center. OmniTrans Rt#61 goes north from the airport towards Fontana Metrolink Station long Archibald, 4th/San Bernardino St and Sierra via the Ontario Mills Mall and west toward the Pomona Transit Center along Holt via Civic Center. The #81 bus passes by the east side of the airport grounds while traveling between Chino Transit Center & Chaffey college along Haven (via Ontario Mills Mall) & E Riverside Dr. This bus does not serve the airport terminals and the East Ontario Metrolink Station (nearest Metrolink Station at Haven & E Francis).