Nakuru is the administrative and economical headquarters of Nakuru County. Conveniently situated between Nairobi and Western Kenya, it also serves as a transit city for many travellers. Nakuru is the fourth largest city in Kenya after Kisumu City.
L. Nakuru airstrip is available for landing.
There is only one train line. however it has not been operating for some years now.
From Nairobi, the 158-km (100-mile) journey would take approximately 2 hours. The newly renovated roads can be dangerous as not all sections have dual carriageways. The scenery is beautiful, from Nairobi you will see the Great Rift Valley below from the highway. from Nakuru to Kericho it is 108 km, from Nakuru to Nyahururu it is 65 km and from Nakuru to Eldoret it is 156 km.
- Mololine Prestige Shuttle, Crossroads, 2NK shuttle offer 9-seater up to 14 seater minivan services to Nairobi, Kisumu and Eldoret.
- Mololine Prestige Shuttle cost Ksh 500 from Nakuru to Nairobi. and is known for its excellent service and security. It has only 10 seats per minivan. Takes 3 hours.
- The large bus companies Easy coach & Modern Coast Express have Nairobi to Kampala coaches which stop in Nakuru. Busways have booking offices opposite the mosque.
- Easy Coach & Modern Coast Express has buses to Nairobi 3 hours. Eldoret 3 hours. Kisumu 3 hours.
- There are also buses going to/from Kericho, Nyahururu and Kisii.
- The large bus fare from Nakuru to Nairobi (Oct 2015) is Ksh 400.
Lake Nakuru National Park is home to the famous pink flamingoes. It also offers viewing of various other species of animals and birds.
Menengai Crater is a dormant volcanoes that still spews out smoke. A view from the edge of the crater is a must.
You can visit the lake Nakuru National Park which is near by or get inside the malls.
Visit a game of Rugby at Nakuru Athletics Club on a Saturday at 2PM and 4PM.
- Westside Mall, Kenyatta Aveune, ☎+254 717333813. 9am-9pm. Has a supermarket and a food court. (updated Jun 2015)
- Ecobank, Club Road (Elgon House), ☎+254 20-2883000. 24 hour. Has a no fee Master Card/Visa Card ATM (updated Jun 2015)
- Naivas Supermarket, old Nairobi Road Milimani Estate. 8AM-9PM. (updated Sep 2015)
- Choppies Supermarket, Pandit Nehru Road.. 8AM-9PM. (updated Sep 2015)
- Tuskys Supermarket, Pandit Nehru Road.. 8AM-8PM. (updated Oct 2015)
- Equity Bank, West Road (Westside mall). 24 hours. Has a no fee Mastercard/Visa card ATM. (updated Mar 2016)