Dolgoch slate quarry (also spelt Dol-goch slate quarry or Dol-gôch slate quarry) was a slatequarry in Mid Wales, approximately halfway between Bryn-crug and Abergynolwyn (4 miles (6.4 km) away from each of them). The quarry was named after a nearby stream, the Nant Dolgoch (then known as the Nant Dol-gôch). ‘Dol goch’ is Welsh for ‘red meadow’.
Although the quarry had favourable transportation arrangements compared to many quarries in the area, it was never worked on a significant scale, and was short-lived – opening in 1877 and closing in 1884.
In early January 1868, W. W. Jones leased land in Dol-gôch ravine and started trying to establish a quarry. Jones was a local prospector who opened many mines in the area; most of them were unsuccessful, with the exception of the Tonfanau stone quarry, near Tywyn.
In April 1872, Jones gave up his lease to the Dolgoch Slate and Slab Company Limited. This newly formed company intended to raise £30,000 (equivalent to £2,740,000 in 2020) to build a quarry here. The landowner, Athelstan John Soden Corbet, agreed a lease for the Dolgoch Slate and Slab Co. Ltd. This allowed them to quarry slate here for 40 years, from 25 March 1872, for a rent of £30 per annum (equivalent to £2,740 per annum in 2020). At the time, Athelstan Corbet was in considerable debt, and hoped that the Dolgoch quarry would pay this off. However, the new company did not actually open a quarry in the ravine for many years, due to financial restrictions.
In November 1875, a quarry opened.
In January 1877, the ownership of the quarry was transferred to the Dolgoch Slate and Slab Co. Ltd., which further developed the quarry. Around the same time, the Cwm-Pandy quarry also opened, 1.6 miles (2.6 km) south-west of Dolgoch; many sources speculate that the openings of these quarries were related, although no evidence has been found to support these claims. A year later, Athelstan Corbet’s estate was auctioned, as he had been unable to pay his debts. The Dolgoch farm, on which the quarry lies, was sold to Edward Lyon, of Scrigford, Staffordshire.
The Dolgoch quarry appears to have been successful, and in June 1880 was significant enough that the government‘s Chief Mines Inspector for North Wales added the quarry to the surrounding district.
In August 1880, a major storm caused significant damage to the quarry. The quarry never recovered, and closed in April 1884.