Secreted frizzled-related protein 2 is a protein that in humans is encoded by the SFRP2gene. This gene encodes a member of the SFRP family that contains a cysteine-rich domain homologous to the putative Wnt-binding site of Frizzled proteins. SFRPs act as soluble modulators of Wnt signaling. Methylation of this gene is a potential marker for the presence of colorectal cancer.
SFRP2 gene has been detected progressively overexpressed in Human papillomavirus-positive neoplastic keratinocytes derived from uterine cervical preneoplastic lesions at different levels of malignancy. For this reason, this gene is likely to be associated with tumorigenesis and may be a potential prognostic marker for uterine cervical preneoplastic lesions progression.
- GRCh38: Ensembl release 89: ENSG00000145423 – Ensembl, May 2017
- GRCm38: Ensembl release 89: ENSMUSG00000027996 – Ensembl, May 2017
- “Human PubMed Reference:”. National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine.
- “Mouse PubMed Reference:”. National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine.
- Melkonyan HS, Chang WC, Shapiro JP, Mahadevappa M, Fitzpatrick PA, Kiefer MC, Tomei LD, Umansky SR (Jan 1998). “SARPs: A family of secreted apoptosis-related proteins”. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 94 (25): 13636–41. doi:10.1073/pnas.94.25.13636. PMC 28358. PMID 9391078.
- “Entrez Gene: SFRP2 secreted frizzled-related protein 2”.
- Rotondo JC, Bosi S, Bassi C, Ferracin M, Lanza G, Gafà R, Magri E, Selvatici R, Torresani S, Marci R, Garutti P, Negrini M, Tognon M, Martini F (April 2015). “Gene expression changes in progression of cervical neoplasia revealed by microarray analysis of cervical neoplastic keratinocytes”. J Cell Physiol. 230 (4): 802–812. doi:10.1002/jcp.24808. PMID 25205602. S2CID 24986454.